This was originally the blog of a first-time Mum to remember the ups and downs of my pregnancy - and chart the first year of my daughter's life. But I've kept it going, and am now a mother of two! More than anything, it helps me to get to sleep once I've emptied my brain of issues and concerns and emotions onto the laptop.
If you're reading this and also a mum- or dad-to-be, first time parent, or just someone who's thinking about it - I hope it gives a little insight into one person's experiences - good and bad....

Thursday 17 March 2011

PREGNANCY - MONTH SIX (WEEK 26)

BOOBS.... mine have not stopped growing throughout my pregnancy so far. And they weren't exactly small to start with. I've gone from a 30H to currently a 34J. It's costing me a fortune everytime I have to buy another 2 or 3 bras at around £25 a time. Dread to think what size nursing bras I'm going to have to buy.. and not quite sure when to get them, especially if my breasts expand even more at the last minute once they're full of milk. And they're so big, I can't really see my bump properly when I look down. It's quite a surprise when I very occasionally catch sight of it in a full-length mirror!

My ample chest has always been the bane of my life, so I'm hoping they put themselves to good use and I'm able to breastfeed simply enough. I guess the one saving grace is that because they've always been big, my body's been used to carrying the weight - and so far the extra weight hasn't given me any backache. We'll just have to see how they manage over the next three months...

This weekend I was back down at my parents' house. It was much better than last week - I don't know if that's because DP was with me to deflect some of the attention, or if we exhausted a lot of the talking last week. Having said that - Mum gave me some knitted shawls that I had when I was a baby, and we went back to the same baby shop for more brain strain over which pram/transport system is best for us. But I didn't feel any of the pressure of last week. Starting to feel like we really ought to get a bit of a move in actually buying a few bits, and properly sorting out what will be the little monkey's room soon though.

Also caught up with loads of my old friends from home - they were all very excited to talk about our impending arrival. But there were two things I was a little surprised at. Firstly - pretty much EVERYONE wanted to touch the bump. A couple of people asked first (one bloke touched it and then asked if I minded) - and to be honest I wasn't all that comfortable with it. Most of the girls that were there and touched it know me really, really well - and I would have thought they'd known that I wouldn't really like it, yet they couldn't help themselves.

The other thing was the doom-merchants - and it was all the Dads! Few of them had much positive to say. One told me I'll spend the next years of my life lamenting the loss of any lie-ins EVER AGAIN. Another told me I'll never want to leave my child for a night with its grandparents; I'll never want to be parted from him/her. How on earth do they know how I'll feel? I don't know how I'm going feel - but I'm pretty sure I've got a little more of an idea of my own instincts than they have.

Even a male colleague - with two teenage daughters - can't stop himself from keep saying stuff like "your life is going change beyond your wildest imgaination" and "it's going to be the toughest change ever to your life". Well, Yes - that's kind of part of the reason for taking the plunge and starting a family. All these negative comments - from people who obviously found it so bad and hard the first time round, they went on and had another! I think it a little sad they couldn't think of anything more positive to say.

Anyway, talking about more positive things - good check-up at my doctor's on Friday. She just did all the regular checks. First time my bump had been measured and she said it certainly wasn't small - if anything, it's on the big side... 28cm at 25 weeks. If big equals healthy, than that's good.

The little monkey's had a couple of very active days indeed. I have a friend who's a couple of months further along than me and is really fed up with the kicks in the ribs. I really like it at the moment - definitely find it reassuring and makes me smile. But maybe ask me again in another two months when they're bigger and stronger....

No comments:

Post a Comment